(Submitted by Four-Eyes)
Winston Zeddemore: 1973 - 1991
Winston was born in Gotham and raised in its Burnley district. His black father was a cab driver and his half-Puerto Rican, half-Haitian mother ran a family-owned secondhand thrift goods shop and bodega. He was the oldest of three kids with a younger brother and sister. By all accounts, he had a great childhood and did well in school.
When Winston was a teenager, he became really involved with his church's community volunteer work. He was really interested in helping his neighbors and the less fortunate, and considered studying to be a pastor but did not care for proselytizing as he always felt like he came across as pushy or judgmental.
Without much free time to pursue on his own due to all his volunteer work, school work, and having a girlfriend, Winston gave very little consideration to what he would do after school. He just kind of always assumed he would become a cab driver to help out his dad when he saved enough money to open his own business. However, after a run-in with a uniformed recruiter at his graduation and being handed a pamphlet in passing, Winston spent a sleepless night thinking about joining the military. It felt like a natural progression of his desire to make the world a better place.
Winston Zeddemore: 1991 - 1993
Ignoring that impulse for the time being, Winston got married to his high school sweetheart Tiyah Clarke that summer in Atlantic City. The two bounced between living with their parents while both worked two jobs to save up money as both wanted to have lots of kids.
The stress of two jobs, living with parents and in-laws, and rarely seeing each other got the best of both husband and wife. This affected the young couple's marriage negatively. Seeing the writing on the wall, Winston talked to his wife and visited the local recruitment office.
Winston Zeddemore: 1993 - 2009
At first, Winston felt ill-suited for the Air Force. He discovered he had severe motion sickness while airborne and did not do well with advanced mechanics or computers. He was a crackshot, a decent automotive mechanic, and could handle his motion sickness if he were the one driving. All this guided him to the USAF Security Police.
Stationed in Oregon, providing security and police services for the Fort Plymouth Air Force Base between deployments to the Middle East and Japan, Winston and Tiyah lived on the base, with Tiyah attending Seaview University. Winston soon fell in love with Star City, and his ecstatic talk even convinced his parents and sister to move out west.
After his first deployment overseas, Winston and Tiyah learned they could not have children of their own. Remedying this, the two looked into adoption. They adopted a young boy first and after what had been the happiest year of their life with their son, the couple decided to adopt another child and did so, adopting a young Japanese orphan girl while the family was living on a base in Japan.
Winston ended up doing two eight year contracts, for a total of sixteen years of service (including forty-eight months overseas) before discharge.
Winston Zeddemore: 2009 - Present
- (Submitted by Operator) Winston and his wife are one of those couples with a Wacky World season pass. Part of the reason that Winston does so much overtime with the Ghostbusters is to afford all the overpriced dining and merchandise they spend regularly. Winston's apparently a big "Wacko" (fan of Wacky Films and cartoons), and can quote those films and sing all their songs.
- (Submitted by TurtleGurl84) Sure, when you get to know Winston he seems like a dependable, hard-working, God-fearing father figure, right? Right, but there are some other interesting facts about this guy.
- Winston has a love for really bad old cartoons, B-movie horror films, and low budget sci-fi series. Apparently he got addicted to these when he worked night shifts on security patrols with the Air Force and one of the only channels which had decent reception ran frequent Elvira marathons which featured such schlock viewing material. He's also a big Elvira fan.
- Loves Aretha Franklin, Alan Parsons Project, and is a good singer.
- After the military and before the Ghostbusters, Winston worked as a cab driver (with his father's company) and gas station attendant.
- Military Training
- Expert in Investigations and Security Procedures
- Expert in Strategy and Tactical Analysis
- Expert Driver
- Expert Marksman
- Expert Martial Artist
- Competent Mechanical Expertise
- Exceptional Physical Conditioning
- Novice Pilot
- Expert on Religious Studies
- Beacon of Hope
- Firm Belief in a Better Reality
- Well-Informed on Local Politics & Current Events
- Gelatin Dessert
- Hates Vermin (Hates Rats & Cockroaches)
- Motion Sickness & Seasickness
- Physicality: 4 — Expert / Enhanced
- Occult: 2 — Basic / Typical
- Weaponry: 4 — Expert / Enhanced
- Expertise: 3 — Trained / Exceptional
- Range: 4 — Expert / Enhanced
- Strategy: 4 — Expert / Enhanced
- TOTAL: 47
- RANKING: Low Threat
Trivia and Notes
- He met Tiyah at church when they were kids. They really bonded while the two volunteered to run an after-school program at their church. The two would play games or watch Wacky animated movies with the younger neighborhood kids until the kids' parents would get off work.
- He supported his sister Tawnya when she became pregnant.
- Tiyah still struggles with accepting he is a Ghostbuster and is risking his life on a daily basis; but she knows Winston can handle anything.
- He used to have an Elvira poster, but it went missing one day. His wife claims to not know what happened to it, and her story is hat she was cleaning the garage and left the door open while getting some cleaning supplies and some neighborhood kids must have grabbed it.
- Winston Zeddemore is a character from the Ghostbusters films and its related media.
- His middle name is a nod to IDW Ghostbusters. In the original draft of the movie his name was supposed to be Ramsey.
- Winston's family has nods to other characters from various media:
- Doiby Dickles is Alan Scott's sidekick.
- Tiyah Clarke is a character from the IDW Ghostbusters.
- Edward "Big Ed" Zeddemore is a character from The Real Ghostbusters.
- Zeddmore Washington is a member of the League of Assassins.
- Patty Tolan is one of Ghostbusters in the 2016 movie.
- Ed and Maggie Zeddmore are part of Ghostfacers, ghost hunters in the Supernatural TV series. They were named as an homage to Winston.
- His address on Hudson Blvd is a reference to the actor Ernie Hudson, who portrays him in the Ghostbusters films.
- Being the uncle of Patty Tolan is a reference to the 2016 Ghostbusters film, where Ernie Hudson made a cameo as her uncle, albeit as a different character.
- Winston joining the Air Force is a reference to the original Ghostbusters script. It was later changed to him joining the Marines.