NOTE: This character's second portrait awaits sponsorship. You can sponsor it here. Your support will allow this character to be explored in Earth-27.
Childhood: 1979 - 1992
Warren is a member of the Worthington family, one of the top ten wealthiest families in the United States. On top of wealth, Warren was an attractive boy and seemed naturally skilled at most things. Always a gifted student at school, Warren's only issue was he seemed to be very obsessed with the sky and birds to the point where it distracted him from social gatherings. This also came with an infatuation with heights, something that frightened his parents when Warren started climbing tall trees and even the exterior of their large home.
Warren was placed in the Fairburn School, where he continued to excel in his classes. It was here that Warren discovered most girls in school were naturally attracted to him. One such girl was Candace Southern who became Warren's first girlfriend and his first true friend.
Coming of Age: 1992 - 1993
Warren continued to excel in school, particularly physical pursuits such as track and field where he beat the high jumping record. Warren's skill was such that many other students (including Warren's roommate Cameron Hodge) thought he might be using steroids to enhance his performance. This problem grew to the point that the school had to open a formal inquiry despite the sum of Worthington family donations to the school. During a physical exam of Warren, the doctor agreed upon by the Worthingtons and the school noticed some severe bruising on Warren's back. As Warren lived away from home, the doctor reported that he believed an instructor or other students were beating Warren, despite Warren's protestations that it was not the case. When the Worthingtons were informed of this, they withdrew their son.
While the parents shopped around for a new school for him, Warren returned home and sank into a bit of a depression as he was forced to leave his friends. While looking at himself in the mirror, inspecting these bruises for himself, Warren noticed a white feather sticking out of his back. He plucked the feather and wondered what it could mean. The next morning, there were more feathers and a slight bulge on his back. He plucked those feathers even though this time they bled. This continued for several more days.
The next week, Warren woke in the middle of the night with intense pain on his back. He ran to the bathroom and as he clutched the sink with his hands, his eyes saw by way of his reflection in the mirror as two small wings tore through the skin on his back. A few moments later, Warren passed out from the pain. By the time he awoke, his back had healed completely, but the wings were still there and had grown slightly. Warren was also in his bed, his mother sitting beside him. Warren did not know what to say to explain the wings but his mother told him to rest and that Warren's father would be in to see him soon.
Gifted Youngster: 1993 - 1995
Less than 24 hours after his wings had ripped themselves out of his back, Warren was introduced, by way of his father, to Charles Xavier, the headmaster of Warren's new school. Rightfully, Warren was very confused by all of this, especially as his usually detached parents seemed to be thrilled to have their son displaying giant wings.
Though Warren struggled with accepting his mutant nature at first, even going so far as to deliberately mutilate his wings when he fell to his lowest point, he did eventually come to embrace being a mutant. When he learned to use his wings to not only fly, but perform aerial stunts, Warren came to realize he truly was born to do this. Though a staunch atheist, Warren even happily started calling himself "Angel."
- Mutant Level: Warren is a Gamma-Level Mutant with Beta-Class projected potential.
- Mutation - Aerial Adaptation: Warren is a mutant with the ability to navigate the skies. Most notably, Warren possesses the ability to fly by means of his natural wings, which span nineteen feet from wingtip to wingtip. Fully feathered like a bird's, the wings have a very flexible skeletal structure, enabling him to draw them and fold to where they press up against the back of his torso with only the slightest bulge visible under his clothing which he can hide with a jacket or layered shirts. The strength of his wings is such that he could easily hit a full-grown man through a wall with a swat.
- Flight: By flapping his wings, Warren can fly at a normal cruising speed of about 70 miles per hour (112 km/h) without the help of a tail wind for up to half an hour at a time before tiring to an appreciable degree. Though he generally flies beneath the height of the clouds (6,500 feet/1981 meters), he can reach a height of 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) with little effort. With severe strain he can attain heights of 29,000 feet (8840 meters) above sea level, but can only remain at that altitude briefly.
- Augmented Physiology: Warren's entire anatomy is naturally adapted to flying. His bones are flexible and hollow, his body processes food more efficiently than a normal human body and does not store any excess fat, and he possesses a greater proportionate muscle mass than normal. As a result, his strength, speed, agility, flexibility, endurance, reflexes, coordination, balance, eyesight and hearing are at their peak. Parts of his anatomy are comparable to those of birds, especially birds of prey. His eyes can withstand high-speed winds which would damage the average human eye and his eyesight is on par with an eagle's (or even better), allowing him to spot movement and details even from a great distance. Warren can also "see everything" even when in complete darkness. Warren can breathe at high velocities or altitudes, and he can cope with the reduced temperatures at high altitudes for prolonged periods of time, giving him a greater-than-normal capacity to endure low temperatures in areas such as the Arctic.
- Strength: Warren can lift almost four times his body weight.
- Healing Factor: Warren can regrow damaged or destroyed tissue. At first he believed this only happened to his wings, but it appears that his blood possesses special enzymes that allow him to recover from injuries at rates greater than any normal human. Even Warren's touch seems to have a soothing effect on injuries and by placing one of his feathers against a wound and then wrapped with a bandage or included as part of a poultice seems to bestow a fraction of Warren's regeneration.
- Expertise - Athletics: Due to his enhanced physique, Warren excels at almost every physical activity imaginable. In particular, he is fond of track and field, fencing, dancing, golf, tennis, racquetball, and basketball. However, his absolute favorite physical activity lately seems to be scooping up his girlfriend Wanda and disappearing high above the school in the cloud cover.
- Background - Wealth: Warren's rich. He knows a thing or two about business and has his own bright yellow sports car parked in the garage.
- Big Flirt: Warren flirts a lot, even with the female faculty, much to Wanda's ire.
- Might: 3 - Peak Human
- Acumen: 3 - Learned
- Speed: 4 - Superhuman
- Tactical: 4 - Experienced Fighter
- Energy: 0 - None
- Resilience: 4 - Regenerative
Trivia and Notes
- The current login for this Cerebro File is "User: Moira X".
- Warren was recruited on April 2nd, 1993 at the age of 14.
- His best subjects are Dance and Fencing.
- Warren has a MASTERY Score of 39, marking him as Exceptional.
- Warren Worthington III resides in Subsidiary-Reality M, within Murum Locus.