History (Submitted by Dr_Badass)
Velma Dinkley: 1990 - 2010
The Dinkley clan are quite numerous, but Velma is the only child of her parents. With a history professor and a museum curator for a father and a neurosurgeon for a mother, it should come to no surprise that Velma's parents not only gave Velma a natural born genius, but encouraged its growth. By the time she was thirteen, Velma was taking summer college courses at Ivy University before receiving an official invitation to join its youth magnate program the following fall semester. It was there that she met yours truly and we got along, despite our four-year wide age gap.
Velma Dinkley: 2010 - 2011
When Velma was twenty, her father was struck by a drunk driver and Velma decided to quit her schooling (she already had a number of degrees under her belt at that point) to help her father with his work while he recovered. However, just when he seemed to be making a turn for the best, Dale Dinkley suddenly woke up dead one morning.
Velma Dinkley: 2011 - 2012
Devastated and unable to go back to school, Velma decided to find a job when her mother pressured her to not be consumed by grief. Most employers were intimidated by Velma's intelligence or put off by her sarcastic mouth, but Velma did wind up landing a job working on Roy Raymond Jr's television program "Impossible...But True" as a researcher and production assistant. Velma enjoyed this work as she had been a fan of such programs as a child. Velma remained quite skeptical of the show's mystical elements, often arguing with on-air talent like Roy Raymond Jr and Daphne Blake; but a near-fatal encounter with some monstrosity changed Velma's mind, causing her to delve deep into occult studies.
Velma Dinkley: 2012 - Present
Velma left the show after a single season and drifted around, looking for answers. She spent a summer on the road with the Hex Girls, trekked a pilgrimage on the ancient road to Nanda Parbat, and when she returned to America, she decided to look me up. I put her in touch with the right people and she became my trusty wingman (wingwoman?) for six months or so. We both ended up in Star City during its siege by demonic forces. We got separated and she nearly lost her life when she tried to close a gateway to Hell by herself.
Velma could not muster enough mojo with arcane rituals and enchanted talismans alone, but thankfully Velma was rescued by a large dog familiar and his sorcerer master. The mystic vagrant was Shaggy Rogers and his familiar was a pup named Scooby-Doo. The trio made a good team and managed to survive the infernal infestation, even playing a part in ending all that madness. They even rescued me from a demon orgy (long story).
When Daphne Blake left her show, she managed to track Velma down at the Roadhouse and offered her a job. Velma accepted and introduced Daphne to Shaggy and Scooby-Doo, who Daphne also hired.
The gang joined Fred Jones to become Mystery Inc, becoming celebrities overnight after breaking their first case in 2015. Velma remains the genius, hacker, chemist, alchemist and a resident know-it-all.
- (Submitted by Oracle) Velma is usually tight-lipped on her personal life, preferring to talk about monsters and machines rather than people. However, she has confessed when a bit tipsy that she had a crush on Shaggy, even though she usually tends to lean a bit more toward the ladies normally. The two have hooked up before but usually try to keep their relationship professional (mostly).
- (Submitted by GothGurl) Velma practically lives online. Not only does she do a lot of heavy lifting for the Network, but she also runs MysteryInc.net and a popular occult blog officially known as "Velma Dinkley's Guide to Monsters, Spirits, Occult Phenomena, and the Weird: A Technical Examination of Based on Field Encounters and Observations of Mystery Incorporated" but since that's a mouthful most just call the website "The Dinkley Files."
- (Submitted by GothGurl) I've heard Velma has a Hex Girls tattoo. Rumor is that the tattoo was a souvenir from a hook-up with a member of the band, but which Hex Girl?
- Genius Intellect
- Eidetic Memory
- World-Class Cryptozoologist
- Master Biologist
- Master Chemist
- Master Computer Programmer
- Master Computer Hacker
- Master Investigator
- Master Parapsychologist
- Occultist Training
- Master on Monster Lore
- Expert Alchemist & Ritualist
- Expert Wardsmith & Bindwright
- Expert Martial Artist (Black Belt in Judo)
- "Freakishly Strong"
- Basically Blind Without Her Glasses
- Physicality: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Occult: 6 - World-Class / Superb
- Weaponry: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Expertise: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Range: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Strategy: 5 - Master / Remarkable
Trivia and Notes
- Velma has a Threat Assessment ranking of 67, marking her as a Moderate Threat.
- She exclaims "Jinkies" when scared or surprised.
- Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- She met Wally the God-Boy when she worked for "Impossible... But True".
- She's friends with many people, including Jo Harvelle, Ash Miles, Buddy MacCulloch, and Irma Langinstein,
- She and Dani Shpak correspond regularly by email. Dani is very interested in being a paranormal investigator and is very active on her blog.
- Egon Spengler is her associate.
- Bela Talbot is her rival.
- Her supplemental report under Charlie Bradbury's file seems to suggest she might have an embarrassing tattoo she got while drunk at a con.
- Velma Dinkley is a character from Scooby-Doo and its related media.
- In her portrait she's wearing Ghostbusters earrings.
- Velma being sarcastic is a nod to the Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated TV series.
Links and References
- Appearances of Velma Dinkley
- Character Gallery: Velma Dinkley
- Network Files submitted by Velma Dinkley