History (Submitted by Four-Eyes)
Norville Rogers: 1988 - 2000
Norville is the second of three sons born to his Coolsville family. As a child, Norville was fairly neglected as his father focused most of his fatherly pride on Norville's older brother Thomas while his mother used up most of her motherly love on youngest son Brice. Without parental guidance, Norville lost all ambition and became a deadbeat loser. He never really applied himself during his childhood. He wasn't a bad kid, he simply was a kid who merely existed and not much else.
Norville Rogers: 2000
One summer, Norville began getting intense migraines. On his twelfth birthday, an older neighbor kid offered him a joint, hoping it would help relieve Norville's headaches. Norville had barely touched it to his lips when his father caught him. Angry at his son, Daniel Rogers wanted to send his son to military school but Wendy offered a different solution.
Norville was sent away with Wendy's sister, Liz, for the summer. Shoved on a plane and flown off to Sun City, Florida, Norville did not know what to expect. He had never met his Aunt Liz and only knew she was a reporter for In-Depth Magazine and was often on the route for work. Shortly after Norville arrived in Sun City, the two got in a car and drove out to Houma, Louisiana for her next assignment.
Norville spent most of his time in his aunt's motel room but on an afternoon where the cable went out, Norville resorted to reading through his aunt's case notes. He became fascinated by the disappearance of Alec Holland and the reports of a mysterious thing which roamed the local swamps. Once caught up, Norville begged his aunt to let him tag along. She agreed, unable to deny his sudden zeal.
By summer's end, the two grew close and Liz had to admit she was going to miss her "Shaggy" (an affectionate name she had given him due to his mop of unkempt hair). Liz decided to request permission to become Shaggy's legal guardian. His parents did not take much convincing.
Liz decided to stick around Houma for a while as she began a relationship with Chester Williams and began working out of an office in nearby St. Roch. Shaggy got along great with his Chester. When Chester realized that Shaggy's headaches has an esoteric reason behind them, Shaggy began down a weird path of self-discovery.
Shaggy Rogers: 2000 - 2013
The next decade-and-change was filled with mind-altering substances and crazy adventures - most of which, Shaggy is not able to fully recall, except in hazy memories with occasional bouts of lucidity. Along his way, Shaggy discovered his ancestors were sorcerers of ancient Atlantis.
As part of his mystical adventures, Shaggy developed a bond with a Great Dane pup he named Scooby. The special bond between the two led to Shaggy's raw mystical power bleeding into the dog, forming a familiar bond between the two.
Shaggy Rogers: 2013 - Present
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) Though he possessed powerful potential, Shaggy lacked the dedication to refine his occult abilities and thereby drains himself physically when he asserts his power, causing him to require vast amounts of food. How vast? Well, he eats roughly 7,000 to 8,000 calories on light day and still looks like he's draped in clothes that three sizes too large for him.
- (Submitted by GothGurl) Here are some extra details I was able to dig out of Shaggy's hazy past:
- In 2006, Shaggy left Liza and Chester to hitchhike across the country. At some point, he was picked up by Googie Tyler in a classic red convertible. The two were in a romantic relationship and were often travel companions until 2010, when Googie broke up with him by leaving a note on their motel bed while Shaggy was out buying breakfast and coffee. Googie's whereabouts remain unknown to this day, though we do know she is alive and has briefly shown up, such as in Vlatava in 2011, Star City in 2013, Corto Maltese in 2015, and most recently in London 2016.
- For a time, Shaggy lived as a vegan as a means to help him better tap into his mystical nature. When Big Belly Burger unveiled their Big Bad Bacon Burger Shaggy knew his days as a vegan were over.
- Immense Occult Potential
- Capable Sorcerer
- Decent Occult Ritualist
- Supernatural Awareness
- Canine Familiar: Scooby-Doo
- Idiot Savant
- World-Class Miniature Golf Player
- Master Aviator & Driver
- Master of Disguise
- Expert Investigator
- Expert Guitar Player
- Unbelievable Metabolism
- Addicted to "Scooby Snacks"
- Bad at Geography & Navigation
- Lazy Glutton
- Little to No Combat Ability
- Physicality: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Occult: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Weapons: 0 - Abysmal / Nonexistent
- Expertise: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Ranged: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 1 - Paltry / Below Average
Trivia and Notes
- Shaggy has a Threat Assessment ranking of 28, marking him as a Minimal Threat.
- Shaggy is the only (human) member of the team usually kept away from the driver's seat of the Mystery Machine and is only allowed to drive when he's completely sober.
- He exclaims "Zoinks" when scared or surprised.
- He has no knowledge about guns and can't see difference between them.
- Norville "Shaggy" Rogers is a character from Scooby-Doo and its related media.
- Shaggy's family has nods to many characters from the comics and media:
- Liz Tremayne and Chester Williams are characters associated with the Swamp Thing.
- Daniel Rogers is a former Corporal of the US Army and friend of Slade Wilson in Teen Titans.
- Thomas Rogers is Little Boy Blue of Blue Boys in Sensation Comics.
- Brice Rogers is the hero Moonman of World's Finest.
- Coolsville is a city from A Pup Named Scooby-Doo and a canonical hometown of Mystery Incorporated in the majority of its associated media.