History (Submitted by Four-Eyes)
Peter Venkman: 1978 - 1998
Peter was born on the lot of the Central City Fairgrounds in a tent. He was named after the neighborhood of Petersburg where the fairgrounds were located. His parents were both employees of a travelling carnival that circulated through the American Midwest. When he came of school age, he stayed with his maternal aunt and uncle in Iowa, though he spent his summers on the road with his parents. By the time he was twenty, he was an incredibly skilled carnival harker who brought in lots of revenue but he knew that this was not the life for him.
Having the foresight to conceal most of his actual earnings from his friends and family (and working some grifting and confidence jobs on the side), Peter saved up enough money to get him a bus ticket and pay for a year's tuition at Midwestern University. His grades did not allow him to qualify on their own, but Peter filed a few applications for assistance programs and one of them stuck. Once he got his acceptance letter, he was gone - not even saying goodbye to his family.
Peter Venkman: 1998 - 2009
At Midwestern, Peter roomed with a bright, though socially awkward young man named Ray Stantz. Peter liked him from the start, though that fondness did not stop him from taking advantage of Ray's kind-heart and innate genius intellect to help Peter with his school work in exchange for Peter helping Ray to woo girls. Despite this, the two became good friends.
When an Amazonian Princess showed up on the beaches of Florida and shook the world's preconceived notions of magic, Peter saw a chance to use that to his advantage. Knowing Ray had a deep interest in the occult and correctly predicting that academics would soon begin reassessing a need for parapsychology, Peter convinced Ray to help him pitch starting a parapsychology program at Midwestern University.
As the program was new, Peter knew he could easily earn his degree by making things up and plagiarizing material from Ray's old books. It seems it worked. With his proximity to Ray, Peter was able to convince the school and his professors that he was a genius on the paranormal (even using his carnival skills to convince some that he was a genius psychic at times, too). Because of these (fabricated) credentials, Peter, with Ray, was asked by Midwestern University to spend a month out of their summer at an academic conference at Sun City.
Peter went for the free vacation and generous per diem allowance on the university's dime. However, it was not all fun and sun. While there, Peter drew the attention of an Ivy University representative named Egon Spengler, who was skeptical about Peter's claims of psychic ability. Peter got around this through distracting him by introducing Egon to Ray, whose intelligence and generosity quickly befriended the young genius.
After that summer, Egon transferred to Midwestern University and the three became close friends throughout the rest of their time at school. Though Ray would go into private practice for a short time, Peter and Egon became associate professors at Midwestern before being offered a grant to work with Ray at Seaview University, in Ray's hometown of Star City. Peter jumped at the chance, knowing Star City was an opportunity to acquire fame and fortune... or hook up with aspiring young actresses.
Peter Venkman: 2009 - Present
- (Submitted by Operator) Without question, Peter is the mouth of the Ghostbusters. I have no doubt that Peter was raised in a manner that encouraged his behavior (whether directly or indirectly). While I do not personally approve, I can't argue with it. He's done some good work with it, right? His intentions were misplaced, but... whatever, right?
- (Submitted by TurtleGurl84) Here are a number of fun facts I was able to dig up on Dr. Venkman:
- Calls his Proton Wand "Ol' Betsy."
- Usually refers to 'Slimer' as "Ugly Little Spud" or "Onionhead." [Note: Dr. Stantz was the first one to call 'Slimer' an "Ugly Little Spud"]
- Owns a dancing hula girl lamp on his desk that he's had for years.
- Though his preference is for Slimer to remain in his containment unit at all times, Peter has intentionally let Slimer go when it suits him. One time was after Janine criticized him for taking a long lunch when he promised to cover the phones for her to go on a date. When she went to the bathroom to freshen up, Peter let Slimer go and told the green ghostly glutton that Janine was hiding a donut in her purse.
- Parapsychologist (of Questionable Credentials)
- Psychologist (also, of Questionable Credentials)
- Self-Proclaimed Psychic Extraordinaire (Sometimes)
- Expert Juggler
- Expert Manipulator
- Expert Mentalist
- Expert Prestidigitator
- Very Charismatic
- Gift for Gab
- Honest and/or Hard Work
- Need for Attention
- Physicality: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Occult: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Weaponry: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Expertise: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 5 - Master / Remarkable
Trivia and Notes
- Peter Venkman has a Threat Assessment ranking of 39, marking him as a Low Threat.
- He directed the first Ghosbusters commercials.
- Erin Gilbert briefly dated him, but they didn't get too far as she got nervous during their second date and puked all over his apartment.
- Peter Venkman is a character from the Ghostbusters films and its related media.
- Peter's backstory as a carnival harker is a nod to Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, a novelization of the first movie.