History (Submitted by GothGurl)
Background: 1988 - 1989
Tawnya Zeddemore was raised in a religious home in Gotham City. Like most teenage girls, she had a rebellious phase when she thought she knew better than her parents and the lifestyle they had chosen for her. Angry at the world and looking to make her parents mad, while having some fun in the process, Tawnya became quite promiscuous. As a result, she ended up pregnant with no clue which of the five young intimate partners she had been with might be the father of her child.
Four of the boys used Tawnya's promiscuity as a screen to deflect any possibility that the child could be theirs and were not interested in taking any responsibility. One boy feared that a pregnant girlfriend might hurt his future and so he insisted that Tawnya get an abortion. Tawnya's religious upbringing prevented such a thing. When their argument got heated in the halls at school, it drew the attention of Tawnya's older brother Winston, particularly when the boy grabbed Tawnya and jerked her by the arm. Before Winston could beat the kid's teeth in, Tawnya's foot crashed between the boy's legs and dropped him to the ground.
While her brother walked her home, Tawnya told Winston that she was pregnant and he stood by her side as she later told their parents. Though her parents were upset at first, ultimately they decided to fully support their daughter in this difficult time. However, the baby came two weeks early when both parents were working an extra shift to pay the upcoming hospital bills and last minute baby supplies. Doiby Dickles, a family friend and Tawnya's godfather, drove her to the hospital.
Patty Tolan: 1989
The baby was born healthy and strong despite being premature. Tawnya was caught off-guard by the child being a girl as she had expected a boy. Without any girl names picked out, Tawnya was stumped for a name until the little girl let out a piercing scream, causing Doiby to remark that the girl sounded just like his mother. Recalling Doiby's mother's name, Tawnya thought the name suited the little girl and named her Patricia.
Patty Tolan: 1989 - 2010
Patty grew up to be fierce and strong. She kept the faith like her family but also learned to fight to survive the streets of Gotham and stand up for what she believed was right. After her grandfather was mugged, the family decided to move out west to join Patty's uncle and aunt in Star City. Patty was not happy about the move, but her Aunt Tiyah had a fix for that. Knowing that Patty loved to read, Tiyah welcomed her to her new home with a book all about Star City's history. Patty devoured that book and dozens more just like it.
Becoming a community activist and even joining the Star City Heritage Foundation as a member of its youth council, Patty grew to love her new home. She fought to protect its landmarks and culture. Following her Aunt Tiyah's example, Patty went to college at Seaview University and majored in history. She planned to work alongside her aunt, but got a bit sidetracked after college while working as a tour guide for the Foundation's bus tours. Patty always loved to talk and share what she had learned. Patty loved her job, almost as much as she loved her city.
Patty Tolan: 2010 - Present
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) During the Hell on Earth event of 2013, Abby Yates became possessed by a foreign entity. Patty realized that something was amiss with Abby. When confronted, Abby attacked Holtzmann. Patty intervened, saving Holtzmann's life. Once she wrestled the possessed Abby to the ground, Patty slapped Abby so hard it knocked the entity right out of her.
- (Submitted by TurtleGurl84) Here are some fun facts for Patty Tolan:
- Patty gave her cousin Ed the nickname "Mookie." She likes to torment him about his love for Vienna sausages.
- Patty's signature necklace was a college graduation present from her Uncle Winston and Aunt Tiyah.
- Patty and Holtzmann are quite close, though Patty is creeped out by Holtzmann and gave her the nickname "Dr. Frankenstein." Holtzmann likes Patty's mouthiness and loves to push her buttons.
- Patty loves action movies, but hates horror movies or anything with demons or dolls - and don't even mention demonically possessed dolls.
- Though active in her community, Patty never really had many friends.
- Though she loves books, Patty has no interest in joining Garrett and Dani's book club due to it being centered on a horror series of books.
- Master Historian
- Specializes in Star City History
- Expert Boxer
- Expert Community Organizer
- Expert Driver
- Expert on Judeo-Christian Lore
- Expert on Politics and Current Events
- Novice Parapsychologist
- Capable (albeit unorthodox) Exorcist
- Book Smart
- Street Smart
- Beacon of Hope
- Firm Belief in a Better Reality
- Well-Versed in Trivia of all Kinds
- Loud as Hell
- Physicality: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Occult: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Weaponry: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Expertise: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
Trivia and Notes
- Patty Tolan has a Threat Assessment ranking of 35, marking her as a Low Threat.
- She used to be a bus driver in Star City, but has been helping to run a sort of shelter for survivors of Hell on Earth. She knows her way around cars and the city, and ain't afraid of no ghost (or demon) so the Ghostbusters show her how to bust and hit the streets.
- The horror book series the Ghostbusters' book club follows is the "Supernatural" series by Carver Edlund.
- Patty Tolan is a character from the 2016 Ghostbusters film and its related media.
- Winston Zeddemore being her uncle is a reference to the film, where Ernie Hudson made a cameo as her uncle, albeit as a different character.