(Submitted by Oracle)
Oswald Cobblepot: Background
The Cobblepots are a family with a long history in Gotham, regarded as one of the Founding Families of Gotham City. The Markovian immigrant Esmunde Kapelput is regarded as the family's founder, having Anglicized his name to Edmund Cobblepot and starting the Cobblepot Mills, later becoming the Cobblepot Steel Mill.
Oswald Cobblepot: 1966 - 1982
Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot was bullied as a child for his short stature, obesity, and beak-like nose. Oswald's wealthy, aristocratic family was struggling to maintain their high society lifestyle despite their failing finances and found Oswald's corpulent and grotesque figure as a stain on the family legacy. Only Oswald's mother cared for her son.
When Oswald was eight, his father died of pneumonia after being drenched in a winter rainstorm. Because of this, Oswald's mother became over-protective of Oswald and forced him to carry an umbrella whenever he went outside — even on sunny days. The bullying only increased after this, resulting in Oswald responding with violent schemes against his antagonizers. After two persistent bullies landed in intensive care, Oswald was sent to England to attend an expensive boarding school to avoid criminal charges.
Oswald Cobblepot: 1982 - 1990
Oswald did well in school when removed from Gotham and continued further education abroad. He even found love in the form of Ann Ogilvy, a Markovian immigrant who worked for a dry cleaning service Oswald used. After returning from a summer trip to Gotham, Oswald discovered Ann was pregnant. Oswald began paying for Ann's living and medical expenses and was overjoyed when she gave birth to a young boy without Oswald's physical defects. Despite this, Oswald did not marry Ann, fearing that his family would not accept her.
While crafting a false pedigree for Ann, Oswald witnessed the blast from the Manhattaning of London from his college apartment's window. Oswald ventured into the city to check on Ann. He found their son Ignatius in the apartment with his frightened babysitter, but Ann was nowhere to be found. Assuming the worst, Oswald got involved in the criminal underworld of London in the wake of the disaster, exploiting the cost of basic goods and catering to criminals by selling black market arms. Even with his illicit side gig and overseeing the care of his young son, Oswald attained a degree in business.
Oswald Cobblepot: 1990 - 1993Upon graduation, Oswald returned home with hopes to revive his family's legacy with his refined business acumen. However, in his years away, the Cobblepot's coffers had been depleted more than expected, much of it due to the cost of Oswald's education. In order to make money, he would need a cash infusion. So Oswald sold the family's steel mill to Carmine Falcone (who gave the mill to his lieutenant Carlo Sionis). Oswald also made extra money by running the books for the clubs of Fish Mooney and the Wesker Crime Family, as he began running guns.
Penguin: 1993 - Present
- (Submitted by Oracle) The criminal empire of the Penguin almost ended before it began. After leaving an early business deal, while personally transporting guns, Oswald was pulled over on a traffic stop. As Oswald was panicking, his ten-year-old son grabbed a gun and shot the cop as he was approaching the car. Years later, this would come back to hobble Oswald.
- (Submitted by Oracle) Despite my objections, Oswald Cobblepot is under the protection of the Batman due to an agreement wherein Batman stays out of Cobblepot's legitimate business ventures in exchange for actionable intelligence.
- Patient is in moderately good health despite his gluttonous consumption of fine cuisine, expensive liquor, and chain-smoking of cigars and cigarettes.
- Patient's corpulence & short height causes him to walk with a distinct waddle.
- Patient's vision is 20/20 but due to constant use of a monocle, patient's left eye squints involuntarily when the monocle is removed.
- Despite being a transfer from Blackgate, I have discovered that patient is a high-functioning schizotype with several interesting psychological quirks. For instance, he speaks with British inflection despite being a Gotham native, feels compelled to wear a tuxedo or tailored clothing, has an obsessive need to carry an umbrella when outdoors, and has an ornithological obsession.
- Patient tends to flaunt his wealth and seeks to surround himself with women in an effort to compensate for his other perceived shortcomings.
- Patient is well-connected with many prominent figures in Gotham City's high society, which he is not above reminding you... constantly.
- Patient's connections have managed to secure him trustee status and a job in the Asylum library — Watch patient closely at work, it is likely he uses his job's access to other patients to arrange favors and pursue his own agenda.
- Threat Assignment: Moderate
- Treatment Ranking: 1-Compliant
- Intake Interviewer: Dr. Roy Westerman
- Assigned Patient Coordinator: Dr. Joan Leland.
- Genius Intellect
- World-Class Business Administrator
- World-Class Criminal Mastermind
- World-Class Information Broker
- Master Thief
- Expert Ornithologist
- Expert Fencer
- Expert Marksman
- Vast Criminal Connections
- Vast Political Connections
- Arsenal of Advanced Weaponry
- Army of Minions and Henchmen
- Weaponized Umbrellas
- Highly Eccentric
- Significant Limp
- Vice — Gluttony
- Physicality: 2 — Basic / Typical
- Occult: 1 — Paltry / Below Average
- Weaponry: 4 — Expert / Enhanced
- Expertise: 6 — World-Class / Superb
- Range: 3 — Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 6 — World-Class / Superb
- TOTAL: 68
- RANKING: Moderate Threat
Trivia and Notes
- He endorsed Sebastian Hady during the 2016 Gotham City Mayoral Election.
- When he's in Arkham he's housed in Trustee Housing.
- He's working with Carlton Duquesne and Rupert Thorne to deliver weapons to CRIME.
- Penguin's Patient number (#61992) is a nod the year of the debut of the movie Batman Returns, June, 1992, where the Penguin is the main villain.
- His old picture was based on his appearance in Batman: Arkham Origins video game.
- His partnership with Duquesne and Thorne is a nod to the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman animated movie.
- His alias Abner Boniface are nods to Batman: Damned and to the Golden Age Penguin.
- His family comes from different continuities
- Tucker is his father in the Post-Crisis and New 52, but Miranda is the name of the mother in Post-Crisis. In New 52 her name is Esther.
- Jason, William and Robert are his brothers in New 52.
- Millie Jane was a girl who lived in Gotham in the 19th century in the Gotham Academy.
- Theodore Cobblepot is character in Gotham Underground.
- In the comics Ignatius is not related to Oswald.
- Some of his early dealings reference the villains Black Mask and The Ventriloquist.
- Oswald going to England where he became a criminal might be a nod to Batman: The Telltale Series video game.
- Fish Mooney is a character from the Gotham TV series.