- Zatanna: [wind rushing] The Hall of Justice? You brought me here? Wait... Why is Midnite here... and where is John?
- Doctor Fate: You may relax, Daughter of Zatara. The Laughing Magician is a clever, if crude sort. He will not be harmed. I have brought the Necromancer here so that he may be given what is his. Kryptonian? We are over here.
- Superman: [wind rushing] Zatanna... I see that Fate found you.
- Zatanna: What's going on here, Superman?
- Superman: [sigh] I don't like this anymore than you do, Zatanna, but... It has to be-
- Zatanna: What? What had to be? What the hell is going on here? Wait, Robin? Where did you get that thing?!
- Papa Midnite: Ah, I see... The boy there. He has mah rifle. Excellent. Hand it to me, boy. Come to Papa.
- Sorry, Zee. Catwoman owed us a favor... Now, Midnite, you want your stupid gun, tell us how to find Batman!
- Zatanna: You're trading the Ace of Winchesters over to this madman for intel on Batman?
- Doctor Fate: It is most concerning that this knowledge is concealed from my gaze, Daughter of Zatara. There is dark magic at work.
- Zatanna: Yes! Probably his dark magic! And by giving him that rifle, you're only going to make him more powerful!
- Superman: I'm sorry, Zatanna... Batman means more to the League... the world, than this one antique rifle.
- Papa Midnite: Wooiii, [chuckle] It's been fun doin' bus'ness wit' you. Now for the rodent... has you tried callin' him? [chuckle]
- Robin: What the hell is that supposed to mean? Of course we tried, he's not answer-
- Papa Midnite: No, no, no. That won't do at all. Wrong kind of carrier, my boy. Try my phone...
- Robin: Uh... That's a skull.
- Zatanna: Worse. It's his sister's... Long story. Wait, Midnite, are you saying that Batman is dead?
- Papa Midnite: Nah, not dead. Not yet. No. He's jus' inna bad cross is all. He's alive, jus' 'is spirit is stuck. Trapped outside the body.
- Superman: [growling, wind rushing] How did that happen, magician.
- Papa Midnite: If you be implyin' that I's did that, I assure you be mistaken. Now, fly down... and let me go. You wrinklin' me suit.
- Robin: [whisper enhancement:] He's not scared of the Clark?
- Zatanna: Why would he be? Look, kid, there's evil in this world that even Superman ain't match for.
Trivia and Notes
- Story continues from Oracle Files: Dr. Fate.
- The Justice League got the Ace of Winchesters from Catwoman, who got it from Talia, who got it from the Bat Family, as explained in VOX Box: False Faces.
- Story continues in VOX Box: Reports of My Death....
- The Ace of Winchesters is later recovered in Oracle Files: Jefferson Pierce 2.
Links and References
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.