- Curry Lighthouse, Amnesty Bay, ME
- March 17th 2018, 1857 Local Time
- Aquaman: [door opens, footsteps] What did you just say about Aqualad? [footsteps]
- AJ Curry: It's just a silly name is all. Who came up with it? Some surface-dwelling nerd, no doubt.
- Aquaman: He has a name. It is Barry and he's a good friend. Second, I consider myself a surface-dweller.
- AJ Curry: Once... you're now the king of Atlantis.
- Aquaman: You think that was a promotion? As if I'm now better than the surface folk who raised me?
- AJ Curry: Uh... is this a trick question?
- Aquaman: [sigh] Stronger and more able to enact change does not make me superior. Atlanteans and the surface people are all humans. We are all equal, son.
- AJ Curry: Sorry... I got it. I got it.
- Aquaman: I'm not finished. Now, since you brought up the title of Aqualad, let me tell you something more. It is a noble title, son. Respected by the surface world and the people of our Kingdom in equal measure. It is a position held by those I trust the most to bridge the divide between the surface world and our nation.
- AJ Curry: [sigh] Father, I get-
- Aquaman: Finally, it is now your mantle to bear. Come with me. It is past time you were fitted for your suit.
- AJ Curry: Wait, what?!
- Aquawoman: [chuckle] It's best to not keep your father waiting. Hurry up now. Quickly!
Trivia and Notes
- Debut of AJ Curry.
- Debut of Aquaman's Justice League outfit, and Mera's Aquawoman outfit.
- While this VOX is in the old Oracle File format, it is technically Post-Reboot, as the Reboot was established to take place following ObMod: Hell to Pay 16 on August 21st, 2017.
- It is revealed that Barry Allen came up with the title "Aqualad".
- The mantle of Aqualad is passed to AJ. It was previously held by Garth ta'Idyl and Kaldur'ahm.
- Roy explains the Aqualad title further: To the Atlanteans, Aquaman is Orin. Aquawoman is Mera. Tempest is Garth. They do not really have secret identities under the sea. Some have titles. Tempest is a title. Aquaman, Aquawoman, Aqualad, and Aquagirl are all essentially seen as roles to be filled. Tula was Aquagirl, now she is simply Tula. Kaldur'ahm was Aqualad, now he is simply Kaldur'ahm. Dolphin is and always was Dolphin. Kaldur and Tula do not really need hero names anymore. Both spend most of their time in service to the Throne in one form or another and both can use their Atlantean names among humans just as easily. They do not have secret identities to conceal.
Links and References
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.