History (Submitted by Oracle)
Melanie Walker: 2007 - 2010
Melanie was born at 10:10 PM to a single mother, Donna Anderson, a waitress at the Ace O'Clubs in Metropolis. Donna and Melanie had a happy life together for the first two years, until Donna fell ill. After a multitude of tests, Donna was diagnosed with MacGregor's. With a short time left to live, Donna began making arrangements - her first goal was to make certain Melanie would be cared for.
As Donna had conflicts with her own family, who put an emphasis on success, accomplishments, education, and money over family and love, Donna chose to avoid them and preferred to track down her ex, Drury Walker. Though he was married at the time with a family of his own, Donna felt he deserved to know that Melanie was his daughter.
Drury agreed to take care of Melanie once Donna passed and even began working overtime shifts to raise more funds to help Donna pay for her medical bills. When Donna's illness progressed to the point she could no longer work at the Ace O'Clubs, Drury gave Donna the keys of his apartment in Metropolis which he had used for work. This act of kindness was seen by Drury's wife Anna as confirmation that he was having an affair with Donna, causing Anna to kill herself.
When Drury had a mental breakdown following the death of his wife, Donna was there to comfort him. The two ended up in a relationship and soon a simple wedding followed. Donna got to die happy in her final moments of life, having a loving husband and her daughter at her side. When she was gone, Melanie was actually relieved that her mom was no longer suffering. Melanie did miss her mother, though, but she took comfort in that she could see her often in her dreams.
Melanie Walker: 2010 - Present
Following the death of Donna, Melanie's father took the kids out to West Virginia for a time while he worked through his grief by building an armored flight-suit and weaponry to go with it. When the Walkers returned to the Gotham area, they brought with them Killer Moth.
Melanie was the first of the Walker children to realize what her father was doing, mostly because she had wandered into the barn in West Virginia and was able to piece together what her father was building. When Melanie heard her father had accidentally killed a boy, she was the one who confronted her father upon his return. She told him what he had done and asked him to turn himself in. When Drury told her that if he did that, he would not be around to take care of them, Melanie promised him if he turned himself in, she would always love him and never forget him. Apparently that is all Drury needed to hear.
For the next five years, Melanie would only see her father periodically. He had embraced the role of criminal, but Melanie still kept true to her promise and never stopped loving her father. She kept in contact with him through the monitored e-mail system at Arkham Asylum, writing him almost daily even though he was only allowed to reply weekly.
Whenever her father did escape and take the kids on the lam, Mel would go, but she always made her objections known. Melanie wants nothing more than for her family to become whole, settle down, and live peacefully - but she is beginning to think it may be impossible.
- (Submitted by Oracle) I have been keeping tabs on this girl's online activity, but she definitely does not make it easy. She's very cautious for such a young girl. But I would have to turn in my security credentials if I let Oracle get bested by a little blonde girl from the suburbs, right? Anyway, Networkers, keep an eye for 'Perfect10'.
- (Submitted by Intrepid) Melanie is a subtle genius. She has an overlooked innate mastery for electronics and computers. She is said to have built her first computer when she was five and since then she's improved her skills tenfold on a yearly basis. She's a mostly harmless hacker for the time being, but given her role models? It's only a matter of time, right?
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) I have been studying the case files of the children of Drury Walker. All of the children share some profound connection to their grandparent, the Endless known as Desire. As a quarter of these children is a metaphysical personification it comes as no surprise that all of them have the ability to dream in a lucid state, becoming powerful beings in the Dreaming who are able to hijack the narratives around them or command the denizens of the Dreaming. In addition to their elevated status as descendants of Desire, they all have their own intense desires and remarkable abilities revolving around the same impulsive drive. Kitten craves materialistic symbols of status and can manipulate those who desire to make her happy. Jack wants to be the best at anything he does and often can learn that which he desires to know. Melanie meanwhile is drawn to those whose desires align with her own and endears herself to them without much effort.
- Endling Physiology
- Lucid Dreamer
- Genius Intellect
- Computer Programming Expert & Hacker
- Electronic Whiz Kid
- Exceptional Cook
- Susceptible to Mental Illness
- Poor Role Model
- Blinded by Love
- Physicality: 1 - Paltry / Below Average
- Occult: 1 - Paltry / Below Average
- Weapons: 1 - Paltry / Below Average
- Experience: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Ranged: 1 - Paltry / Below Average
- Strategy: 2 - Basic / Typical
Trivia and Notes
- Melanie has a Threat Assessment ranking of 11, marking her as No Threat.
- Melanie Walker is a character from the Batman Beyond animated series. Multiple tens in her backstory are a nod to her identity as Ten of Spades. In Earth-27 she shares her birth date with Colin Wilkes, the Earth-27 version of Ten.
- Her address and school is a nod to Killer Moth's first appearance: Batman #63 and his creators Bill Finger and Lew Sayre Schwartz.
- Melanie's maternal family has nods to many characters from the comics and related media:
- Donna Anderson was an employee of StarrWare in the Power Girl comics.
- Clyde Anderson is the Batman villain Scorn from the Prime Earth continuity.
- Kenneth Anderson was the Pre-Crisis villain Annihilator.
- Rockwell and Deborah Anderson were known as Rocky and Debbi in the Date with Debbi comic.
- Adrianna Anderson is the Wonder Woman villain Doctor Cyber based on the Prime Earth continuity version. In Earth-27 she is Veronica Cale's business partner.
- Leslie Anderson was a friend of Veronica Cale in the New Earth continuity.
- Roger and Claire Anderson are the parents of Mitchell Anderson, the hero known as Outburst and a member of the Supermen of America.