History (Submitted by Four-Eyes)
In the Beginning...
Lucifer was one of seven archangels present for the invasion of the cosmic dimensional expanse known as the Void. He helped carve out a kingdom for the Presence, a being he once called "Father". Lucifer was arguably the most favored among the seven. Yet, when a foothold was established and named the Kingdom of Heaven, Lucifer wished to rest and did not care to continue the crusade. Lucifer asked the Presence to bestow him a fraction of Heaven to reign over. When the Presence declined, Lucifer rebelled. He was defeated by his brethren. Despite Lucifer's insurgency, the Presence could not strip the favored son of his grace. Instead, Lucifer was exiled and left to settle in an area rich with infernal essence. Lucifer learned to tame the infernal qualities of the area around him and named this place Hell.
Soon enough Lucifer was joined by his closest conspirators, who were punished much more harshly than their insurgency's leader. Stripped of their grace and original form, they were now beings known as demons. The demons were vindictive and eager to sow chaos. Lucifer realized this for what it was: opportunity. Using his cunning charisma, Lucifer rallied his followers and forged his own anchor to Earth, countering the Presence's efforts and enacting his own deals to lay claim to the souls of mankind.
Though most angels remained loyal to the Presence, even after the Fall, a small number of angels left Heaven to settle in Hell and swear fealty to Lucifer. Some of these angels were truly impressive, Lucifer remained the only archangel in Hell. This meant the others lacked the power to tame the energies in the same way and slowly began to change. Proudly, they took on one of Lucifer's epithets as a name for their race, calling themselves the devils.
Lucifer: Prehistory - 1983
Eventually, a ceasefire of sorts was declared between Heaven and Hell. News of this infuriated the demons who still sought revenge against the Presence for their punishment. Of course, Lucifer knew the demons would escape from Hell and unleash chaos in their wake; and if Lucifer made a token effort to contain them, he did not incur the wrath of Heaven. This was the way it worked for thousands of years.
But with this peace came stagnation... and boredom. Lucifer lost interest in his kingdom. He longed for something else and turned his eyes to Earth.
Lucifer: 1983 - Present
Lucifer decided to abandon his claim to Hell. In an effort to appease the Lords of Hell, Lucifer had his wings severed and the feathers and tissue divided up among his lords, granting each of them incredible occult power.
Only one demon asked to join him in his exile: Mazikeen. Together, the two opened a nightclub in Los Angeles. But less than five years after its opening, an intrinsic explosion threatened to destroy his club. Lucifer exercised his power, preserving it inside a pocket dimension where it remains to this day. Now called the Oblivion Bar, it caters to those who can find it and agree to abide by its strict rules of neutrality.
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) Though usually very composed, Lucifer is annoyed by Satanists (he claims worship isn't "his bag") and being accused of lying. While the Devil is often regarded as the greatest manipulator in the universe, but he never lies. Lucifer may use hyperbole, but if he is speaking in earnest it is the truth. He is incredibly proud of this.
- (Submitted by Gremlin) Let's discuss Lucifer's aliases. Samael is his Creator given, pre-Fallen name. The devil, Adversary, and the Mocker was what the angels called him when he rebelled. Lightbringer was an early epithet given to him by his Creator. His favored name, Lucifer, is a portmanteau of the Latin words "lucem" and "ferre", meaning "light-bearer". It is also the name of the planet Venus, commonly known as the "morning star". Helel means "shining one" and was the inspiration for him naming his kingdom Hell. Atse'Hashke is one of the names of the trickster god Coyote from Native American mythology. Lucifer has noted that he is quite fond of Old Scratch and wishes people would use that one more often.
- Archangel Physiology
- Cosmic Awareness
- Dimensional Shifting
- Energy Projection
- Enhanced Physicality
- Healing Touch
- Limited Empathy & Telepathy
- Charismatic as Hell
- Master of Eldritch, Infernal, and Supernal Sorcery
- Code of Honor
Trivia and Notes
- He created the sun and he really likes sunsets.
- When Samael began to make plans to form his own kingdom apart from Heaven and its Silver City, he approached Amenadiel with an offer of being his kingdom's architect. Samael reasoned that if he could show that Amenadiel supported his endeavor, the Presence would agree to sign off on Samael's plan. However, when presenting this plan to the Presence, Amenadiel had a change of heart when he recognized that the Presence did not seem inclined to grant Samael's request. When Samael called for Amenadiel to take his turn at speaking, Amenadiel apologized to Samael and told him that he believed the Presence was right: Samael's place was with his family and not on his own. For the perceived betrayal, Samael attacked Amenadiel but was kept from killing the Firstborn by the archangel Michael. Samael broke free, told everyone that they would regret this, and flew off. Samael then started the war in Heaven.
- As a King of Hell he has many vassals. Among them are: Aurinath, Blaze, Calythos, Neron, Nyorlath, Satanus, Uthool and Vamina. Vylaela and the demon known as Spot used to be his vassals. Naamah and Eisheth used to be part of his harem.
- He considers Dream of the Endless to be his best friend. Lucifer briefly gave Hell to Dream. It was Morpheus' idea to cut Lucifer's wings off.
- When he left Hell he gave his trident to Nebiros.
- The Oblivion Bar used to have a permanent location in Los Angeles, CA. Lucifer moved it to its own pocket dimension to avoid its destruction during The Manhattaning.
- The scar on his face was caused by Mazikeen. She slashed him and promised him to be with him as long as he keeps the scar.
- He believed he killed the archangel Raguel, but in 2016 he found out he was still alive. Killing Raguel gave him no pleasure, but he did it because he was a maniac.
- He knows how to play piano and has one in the Oblivion Bar.
- John Constantine and Felix Faust are his uneasy allies.
- He convinced Dream to give Elvira another chance and hire her as hostess of Sinister House.
- While he claims he doesn't lie, Mazikeen claims Lucifer is bad at lying.
- Lucifer is capable of having his swears not registered as [expletive] in the VOX Boxes.
- He was accidentally summoned by Izzy Bowin's by playing notes of the The Devil Went Down to Georgia. He made a deal with her to release him in exchange for his violin made from souls and hellfire. They later made two more deals. Izzy now owes Lucifer a favor.
- Lucifer leaving Hell and having his wings cut off is a reference to Sandman: Season of Mists, but Mazikeen doing that is a nod to the TV show Lucifer.