NOTE: This character's second portrait awaits sponsorship. You can sponsor it here. Your support will allow this character to be explored in Earth-27.
Childhood: 1978 - 1989
Jean Grey was the youngest of three daughters of Professor John Grey of the History Department of Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York, and his wife Elaine Grey. Jean also has two younger brothers, Roger and Liam.
When Jean was ten years old, she was playing with her best friend, Annie Richardson. While running to catch a ball, Annie was struck by a car right before Jean's eyes. This traumatic event jumpstarted Jean's powers causing her to experience Annie's own emotions and thoughts as she died. The shock of not only this tragic loss, but also experiencing the sensation of death, sent Jean into an almost catatonic state.
Not only did Jean become incredibly withdrawn and deeply depressed, but she lacked the ability to control her new mutant abilities and was unable to isolate herself from the ocean of others' thoughts always flooding over her. Without any idea what was happening to their girl, John and Elaine Grey sent Jean to be treated at the Ravencroft Institute in Westchester County, not far from the Graymalkin Estate.
Institutionalized: 1989 - 1993
Not long after being taken to Ravencroft, Jean encountered Charles Xavier in her thoughts. Charles contacted Jean's family and acquired the necessary permission to visit Jean. After their first meeting, Charles was able to use his own psionic power to put blocks in Jean's mind that held back much of the constant psychic barrage she was experiencing. Once she was able to think clearly, Jean gave Charles a big hug.
Charles taught Jean a few basic tricks before he left. When he returned, he bought his friend Erik with him. Charles asked Erik to assess the biomagnetic field around Jean to estimate her own potential power. Much as Charles presumed, Erik said he had never seen such power.
While Jean was being treated and making incredible bounds, Charles kept visiting her. He taught her to hide her powers, explained what it was to be a mutant, and brought her art supplies.
During one visit, where Jean's parents were taking their girl home for the holidays, Charles pitched the idea of enrolling Jean in his school. Since Charles had been instrumental in Jean's recovery and his school was close to Ravencroft in case of a relapse, the Greys agreed to allow Jean to attend. Before parting, Jean gave Charles a hug and then gave him his Christmas present. Charles opened the gift and found a picture of a boy with beams coming from his eyes. Charles asked who it was and Jean said "I was hoping you'd know... You need to find him. He needs your help, too".
Jean arrived at the school a few days after Christmas for enrollment. She was the first student of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.
Year One: 1993 - 1994
Jean would eventually meet the boy she had painted. The two were put on the Alpha Squad together. Jean knew right away he liked her, but she needed to let the idea of a relationship marinate for a while. During this time, Jean became close friends with Bobby Drake, taking to him easily as he reminded her of her two younger brothers.
Year Two: 1994 - 1995
During the summer break, Jean went to stay with her parents but came to visit her classmates for a poolside birthday party. Jean had so much fun soaking in all the happy thoughts, she decided to throw caution to the wind and planted her lips on a very surprised Scott Summers. She then asked him "What took you so long?" They've been dating since.
- Mutant Level: Jean is a Gamma-Level mutant with an Alpha-Class potential. It is possible that she might be the most powerful Alpha-Class mutant we have yet encountered.
- Mutation - Psionic: Jean is a powerful psionic mutant with particularly potent telekinetic ability.
- Telekinesis: Jean can lift and control things with her mind, bigger and heavier are more difficult to her to control though. With significant effort she can levitate two full-sized persons or even a small car. She has become extreme talented in the application of precision work, often painting and pursuing other artistic endeavors while practicing her telekinesis.
- Telekinetic Force Fields: Jean can create force fields that can protect her from hazards or attacks. She can also use her force fields to push her enemies back with a pulse or create an airtight dome around herself and others.
- Telekinetic Flight: Jean can levitate in the air using her telekinesis. With concentration, she can even fly to speeds of about 20 MPH (32 km/h), but rarely engages in such activity as she admits she's afraid of falling.
- Telepathy: Jean is capable of reading and controlling people's thoughts. Reading "loud" surface thoughts seems to be something she can tune out but never actually truly ignore. Her abilities to manipulate thoughts, probe for specific information, and alter memories is quite poor at the moment, but she shows promise. Her abilities work best when practiced on the weak-minded.
- Astral Projection: Jean cannot project her consciousness onto the Astral Plane alone, but she can do it if guided by another psionic. Curiously, on the Astral Plane, Jean's powers manifest as spiritual flames and once she even briefly turned into a large flaming bird.
- Expertise - Artist: Jean loves art. She likes to paint, sculpt, and sketch. She is also a lover of classical art, particularly those which feature strong females or were crafted by female artists. She longs to visit Paris and thinks any trip to the museum is a day well-spent. Jean has given everyone on campus a Jean Grey original portrait of themselves for one of their birthdays. Her favorite subject by far is Scott, but she's also taken an interest in the new groundskeeper. He finds Jean annoying and has asked her to stop sketching him on his breaks, but Jean's pretty stubborn and happily ignores him.
- Background - Psychiatric Care: Jean's time spent in Ravencroft gave her a unique understanding of mental health. Everyday, Jean was absorbing the thoughts and emotions of the mentally ill and professionals around her. Jean has shown herself quite adept at translating those experiences into real-world psychological insight. Granted, a lot of people on campus find it extremely annoying when they realize Jean's psycho-analyzing them, but like I said, Jean's stubborn. She doesn't listen to what people are saying when their minds are crying for the help she's willing to give.
- The Levy Breaks: Charles Xavier put telepathic limits in Jean's mind to give her better control over her overloading power. If Jean pushes herself too much, she could wipe out those blocks and then risk her sanity once again being consumed by her raw, untapped power.
- Might: 2 - Normal
- Acumen: 3 - Learned
- Speed: 3 - Exceptional
- Tactical: 3 - Professional Training
- Energy: 6 - Mastered Ability
- Resilience: 2 - Normal
Trivia and Notes
- The current login for this Cerebro File is "User: Moira X".
- Jean was recruited on December 29th, 1992 at the age of 14.
- Her best subjects are psychology and art.
- Jean has a MASTERY Score of 39, marking her as Exceptional.
- Jean Grey resides in Subsidiary-Reality M, within Murum Locus.
- As a teenager, Jean has short hair, much like her Ultimate Comics version, but will grow her hair out as she gets older.