History (Submitted by Operator)
Erin Gilbert: 1984 - 2012
Erin Gilbert was originally raised in Battle Creek, a suburb outside of Detroit. After the Manhattaning destroyed the places of employment for both of her parents, the Gilbert family sold their house to move closer to the devastated areas to help rebuild. Instead of finding a babysitter or a nanny, Erin's parents paid local twins, a couple years older than Erin, $1/hour to be Erin's friends and help her with chores.
On her eighth birthday, Erin's parents asked her to rake the leaves in the backyard after school. Erin thought it was to distract her from them planning her big birthday surprise and gladly did so. However, like typical children, after Erin and the twins raked the leaves into piles, they began to jump onto the pile, making a game of it. It was enough noise to stir Gretta, the mean old woman who lived next door. Gretta came outside onto her porch and warned them that if a single leaf ended up on her property, there would be hell to pay. Heading the old woman's warnings, the kids did a thorough job of raking and bagging the leaves and taking them to the curb.
That night, Erin got no birthday party... or presents or wishes. Her parents had been so busy that they forgot about Erin. Erin cried herself to sleep that night. The next day, while trick or treating with the twins, Erin was rather cranky. The twins pried and got Erin to reveal that her parents forgot about her birthday and in so doing, Erin realized that the twins had forgotten her birthday as well. This prompted Erin to ask them what kind of friends they were. One of the twins spoke up, admitting that Erin's parents paid them to befriend her. Erin insulted the twins and stormed off. Erin went back home and cried herself to sleep once again.
While Erin slept, the twins decided to get some payback. They took the leaves from the curb and dumped the bags all over Gretta's lawn. When Gretta came out to chase the kids off her lawn, she slipped and broke her hip. Gretta died in the hospital at 2:06 AM a few days later.
On Christmas Eve, Erin went to sleep around 8 and awoke at 2:06 AM. The ghost of Gretta manifested at the foot of her bed. The ghost of Gretta whispered "Hell... to... pay..." then blood spilled out of her mouth and onto Erin's bedspread. Erin hid under the covers until her alarm for school sounded off. When Erin was dragged out of bed by her mother, she looked around and both Gretta and the blood were gone. Gretta returned periodically, always at 2:06 AM, and only when Erin was alone.
Erin's anxiety spiked (she was later diagnosed with Post-Paranormal Stress Disorder). She was put into therapy, but even the therapist told her she was too old to believe in ghosts. Meanwhile, Erin's parents tried to recruit the twins to befriend Erin again, but they only used what Erin's parents told them to spread vicious rumors about Erin at school, giving her the name "Ghost Girl." This torment persisted for years.
A new girl moved into the area. The decidedly "off" girl was named Abby and she was eager to make a friend. Erin and Abby bonded over their shared intelligence and interest in the paranormal. As they had each other, Abby and Erin were not afraid to be themselves and embraced their "weird girls" label. However, it didn't take long before the world caught up to the girls, revealing just how weird it was. When Princess Diana walked onto a beach, Erin and Abby knew they had to meet her.
Erin Gilbert: 2012 - Present
- (Submitted by Four_Eyes) At age 22, Erin and Abby decided to spend the summer writing a book on the paranormal. After a lot of take out from Tomorrow's Teriyaki, they completed a single-spaced 460 page manuscript. The first sentence was "This is not a joke." This manuscript would become "Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal".
- (Submitted by TurlteGurl84) Here are some fun facts for Erin Gilbert:
- Erin won the 2006 LeRoy Apker Award and the 2012 Maria Goeppert Mayer ("MGM") Award from the American Physical Society.
- Erin was her high school's valedictorian.
- Erin briefly dated one of her professors. If you guessed it was Peter Venkman, you'd be right. Erin says it didn't get too far as she got nervous during their second date and puked all over his apartment. To this day she can't stand the idea of eating broccoli soup.
- Erin claims to be fluent in Spanish, but she routinely butchers what most would consider to be easy translations. She even mispronounces 'taco'.
- Erin keeps pictures of Kevin taped inside her locker at the Firehouse.
- Genius Intellect
- World-Class Theoretical Physicist
- Leading Expert in Theoretical Particle Physics
- Master Parapsychologist
- Expert Alchemist
- Expert Astrologist
- Expert Astronomer
- Expert Biologist
- Expert Chaos Theorist
- Expert Chemist
- Expert Mathematician
- Knows a lot of Weird Trivia
- Desperately Seeks the Validation of Intellectuals
- Extreme Intellectual Regression When Aroused
- Post-Paranormal Stress Disorder
- Prone to Panic Attacks
- Physicality: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Occult: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Weaponry: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Expertise: 6 - World-Class / Superb
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
Trivia and Notes
- Erin Gilbert has a Threat Assessment ranking of 49, marking her as a Low Threat.
- Erin and Abby became friends when they noticed they were the only two students who bothered raising their hands in chemistry. Erin had even known an answer to something that stumped Abby. The two hit it off immediately as Abby was immediately fascinated by Erin's apparent haunting. Abby slept over at her house that weekend, intent on photographing the ghost that haunted Erin. Though the equipment failed to capture the ghost, Abby insists that she saw the ghost, validating Erin's claims. The two were practically sisters after this.
- She, Abby, and Jillian are former assistants of Ray, Egon and Peter during their time at Seaview University.
- Erin and Abby are two sides of the same coin. Erin is neat and awkward. Abby is messy and bold. Together, they can figure anything out. Apart, they're incomplete. They're an odd couple.
- They grab themselves Kevin Beckman who they thought was some sort of action hero but turns out he's just a cowardly less than genius underwear model who wants to be an action movie star). But his heart is in the right place, so they keep him around (plus Erin can't take her eyes off the guy).
- According to her Kevin is "chiseled, godlike specimen of a man" and had Kylie dig into his heritage to determine if he had any daimon in him.
- Erin Gilbert is a character from the 2016 Ghostbusters film and its related media.
- Her backstory is a nod to Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal.
- The Network File doesn't contain the last name of Gretta. Both Ghosts from Our Past and the Ghostbusters Official Novelization offer different names and way she died, but the story with leaving leaves comes from Ghost from Our Past.
- Her siblings Lani and Ward Gilbert are the villains Velvet Tiger and Hakker. The former is an enemy of Batgirl and the latter is an enemy of Hawk & Dove.