History (Submitted by TurtleGurl84)
Egon Spengler: 1977 - 1994
Egon's mother, Katherine, panicked after giving birth. She asked her nurse to contact the boy's father and when the nurse left the room to do so, Katherine fled, leaving her newborn child behind with a note written in haste about how she was too young to be a mother. Katherine did not return to school or her hometown. She essentially disappeared.
Edison Spengler, a professor at Ivy University known for sleeping with his students, took custody of the boy only after he met Katherine's parents and realized that if he did not take the child in, his son would be raised by "Midwestern Yokels." Despite 'rescuing' his son from such an upbringing, Edison did not bring much joy to Egon's life. He hired a parade of attractive nannies to care for the boy and paid for uptight tutors to stress Edison's desire for Egon to have academic success.
Growing up, Egon had no toys or games. He once found part of a slinky,but he straightened it, not realizing its purpose. Edison acknowledged Egon's genius but nothing Egon ever did was good enough.
If had known any true compassion in his early life, it was from his much younger brother, Harry; and a Greek foreign exchange student that nannied for the Spenglers one summer between her studies. Her name was Julia and she shared her intense passion for mythology with Egon. This interest would consume Egon throughout the rest of his childhood, convincing him to ignore the logical perspective and drove him to search for something hidden in the myths. Egon decided to apply his genius toward science in an attempt to find the truth. He rationalized that if a being such as Dr. Manhattan could exist, then why couldn't Zeus or Odin?
When Egon was invited to join Ivy University's magnate program, Edison told his son that his placement there was only due to Edison's connections at the university. Egon never forgave that remark.
Egon Spengler: 1997 - 2001
Egon quickly earned his degree, becoming a doctor in several fields by the time he was twenty-one. Egon had job offers from several tech firms, universities, and corporations all over the globe. He could have become a multi-millionaire instantly if he accepted Lex Luthor's offer.
But Egon instead went to work a modest job with a modest wage as a researcher for Gateway University, simply because it allowed him to be close to Dr. Kapatelis, who was interviewing Princess Diana of the Amazons, who was living proof of the validity of mythical stories. Much to Egon's surprise, Dr. Kapatelis turned out to be his former nanny, Julia.
Though Egon was happy working close with Julia, she knew she had to send him on his way. Julia urged Egon to represent Ivy University at a parapsychology conference and there Egon met Peter Venkman.
At first, Egon was bothered by this charlatan (as he reminded Egon of his own father). However, as Egon was confronting Peter, Edison Spengler called to tell Egon he read his latest paper and found it "trite." Sensing Egon's frustration and a chance to deflect Egon's interest in exposing him, Peter grabbed the phone and told Edison off, ending the call by saying he and Egon were off to "go score some parapsychology groupie girls."
Egon Spengler: 2001 - Present
- (Submitted by TurtleGurl84) Fun facts about Dr. Spengler!
- Only Ghostbuster (of the original four) to never drink alcohol.
- Favorite color is "pea soup green."
- Is secretly a gourmet-level chef - but finds cooking to be a 'rather tedious application of chemistry' and prefers to just eat take-out with his friends.
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) Eli Spengler, an immigrant from Germany, was a founding father of Lewiston, Massachusetts (which would later be renamed Gateway City). Rumors suggest Eli was also a member of a secret society of occultists and was responsible for creating powerful wards and runes which sealed dark entities away under Lewiston and Gotham town. Zedekiah Spengler, Eli's grandson, became a deranged dabbler in the occult. His experiments not only led to his violent death, but also turned his son away from magic and the occult altogether, devoting himself to the path of academics and science. This family tradition would continue all the way to the 20th century with Edison Spengler. It would seem, however, that Edison's influence on his children would turn them to an interest in the occult.
- Genius Intellect
- Eidetic Memory
- Polyglot (Fluent in 6 Languages, Decent in 5 others)
- World-Class Physicist
- World-Class Mycologist
- Master Chemist
- Master Historian
- Master Parapsychologist
- Expert Anthropologist
- Expert Astronomer
- Expert Engineer
- Expert Metallurgist
- Expert in Computer Science
- Addicted to Chocolate & Cream-Filled Sponge Cakes
- Difficulty Processing His Emotions
- Doesn't Know How To Drive
- Physicality: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Occult: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Weaponry: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Expertise: 6 - World-Class / Superb
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
Trivia and Notes
- Egon Spengler has a Threat Assessment ranking of 62, marking him as a High Threat.
- Jillian Holtzmann is his half-sister. She's definitely more outgoing and crazy than he is. She's a bit of a mad scientist herself, with more engineering know-how than her brother had (he's mostly book smarts and she's more trial and error). They met after Jillian's eleventh birthday. The two recognized each other as having the same father but both left the encounter thinking the other was strange and had no intents of ever speaking again.
- Janine Melnitz claims to be "a little bit psychic" and she does register as having slightly elevated PKE readings. Janine was immediately attracted to Egon from the start and it could be a result of psychic magnetism as Egon himself comes from a potent psychic lineage.
- He collects spores, molds, and fungus.
- He's an associate of Velma Dinkley.
- Egon Spengler is a character from the Ghostbusters films and it's related media.
- Egon being blond is based of his appearances in both the Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters animated series.
- Peter introducing Egon to Ray, and having a brother are nods to Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, the novelization of the first movie. In the novel it's stated that Egon spend his childhood in Ohio, which is part of Midwest.
- Egon's family has nods to other characters from various media:
- Jillian Holtzmann is one of Ghostbusters in the 2016 movie.
- Harry Spengler is part of Ghostfacers, ghost hunters in the Supernatural TV Series.
- Egon's mother never received a name in any official media. The name Katherine was created by fans.