History (Submitted by Oracle)
Dorothy Tan: 1996 - 2007
Dorothy Tan was born into wealth and luxury. Her family had a spacious penthouse apartment in Cherry Hill. Dorothy never had need to want for anything, as she was well provided for at all times. She had several tutors and, by the time she was nine, could speak three languages with perfect fluency.
Dorothy Tan: 2007 - 2009
Dorothy's life changed in 2007, as did the lives of everyone in Gotham. The Cataclysm struck and overnight the Tans went from the most secure and protected Gothamites to the ripest fruit just waiting to be plucked by escaped prisoners and criminal looters alike.
The Tans read the writing on the wall and fled their palatial home before the worst of the looting fell on Cherry Hill. They managed to find shelter in the Park Row Clinic, but even there they were not safe. Their exile was made more complicated by Dorothy's infant sister Dana, who had special needs due to her age.
As Dorothy's father was conscripted into service with the refugee community, repairing walls or manning lookout posts, Lauren Tan would often leave Dorothy to look after Dana while she ventured into the city to scavenge for baby supplies when the clinic's supplies were low. Against all odds, the Tans seemed to have weathered the worst disaster thrown at Gotham - until the end.
A month before Gotham returned to normal, Lauren Tan went on a simple supply run and never returned. After a day, Dorothy defied her father's orders and went searching for her mother. Dorothy found her mother, just three blocks from the camp, butchered in an abandoned apartment. She had found her mother in hours, but it took a search party two days to find Dorothy, still clinging to her mother's lifeless body and too traumatized to utter a word or shed a single tear.
Dorothy Tan: 2009 - 2014
Dorothy Tan spent the next five years in an expensive care facility. Dorothy responded little to treatment or other external stimuli, outside of playing racing video games, riding a bike around the grounds, and dancing to music.
On the eve of Dorothy's eighteenth birthday, a male patient known only as John Doe approached Dorothy during dinner and whispered something in her ear. The next morning, both Dorothy and the other patient were nowhere to be found.
Dottie: 2014 - Present
Dorothy was next seen working in the ranks of Joker's Laugh Pack. Now calling herself "Dottie', Dorothy is often decked out in clown make-up, dressed in a polka dot dress, and operating as a maniacal getaway driver known to swing a vicious rubber chicken as a weapon.
It appears that Dottie is also involved in a relationship with another member of the Laugh Pack, specifically the criminal clown answering to the name "J-Man". Whether "J-Man" is the same male patient from Dorothy's escape remains to be confirmed, but it seems a safe bet.
- (Submitted by Oracle) Dottie's weapon of choice is a rubber chicken which she has wrapped in barbed wire and crammed full of glass bottles. When she strikes someone with the chicken, the bottles shatter. With repeated strikes, the glass shards begin to protrude from the chicken and often get left behind in her victims' wounds.
- (Submitted by Intrepid) As heartless and merciless as this young woman appears to be, it is worth remembering she is the victim of severe mental illnesses which were brought upon her by traumatic events. According to my sources in the GCPD, Lauren Tan's murder case remains open. Perhaps solving this case may be a vital first step to rehabilitating Dorothy Tan?
- (Submitted by Jester) The moniker "Dottie" likely began as a nickname or pet name, possibly given to her by J-Man or the male patient she escaped the care facility with. However, as part of her dissociation from her past, it seems she now associates "Dottie" as a reference to her polka-dot dress. I'm not sure if that's by her design or someone else's. Either way, appealing to Dorothy's past may be worth a shot - if nothing else, it'll unbalance her.
- (Submitted by Radar) Inspired by the Supplemental Report written by Intrepid, I have taken the liberty of looking into the cold case file of Lauren Tan. I believe that I may be uniquely suited to solving this case. I have found compelling evidence which implicates Victor Zsasz as the murderer. With the death of Vic Sage, I suspect I am the world's foremost expert on Zsasz.
- Expert Arsonist
- Expert Gateway Driver
- Expert Motorcyclist
- Expert Pilot
- Expert Dancer
- Fluent in 3 Languages
- Arsenal of Gag Weaponry
- Swing a Mean Chicken
- Mentally Ill
- Physicality: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Occult: 0 - Abysmal / Nonexistent
- Weaponry: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Expertise: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
Trivia and Notes
- Dottie has a Threat Assessment ranking of 32, marking her as a Moderate Threat.
- Dottie is a character from Batman Beyond.
- Her mother's name Lauren is a reference to Dana's voice actress Lauren Tom. Lauren Tom also voiced Dottie in "Rebirth, Part 1".
- She is a composite character of Douglas Tan, a member of the Jokerz and brother of Dana Tan under the alias of Joker King.