History (Submitted by Operator)
Dani Shpak: 1989 - 2000
I gather that Star City has always had a long history with archery. The locals take a great deal of pride in the story of how Fort Plymouth's rifles were warped from severe water damage one winter and how the nearby natives of the Athabaskan tribe came to the fort to teach the soldiers how to hunt with their bows so the men would not starve while waiting for their new rifles to be shipped across country.
Historians question the legitimacy of that tale, but whatever the case, I remind you of this story because Dani Shpak was one girl who loved that story as two groups of people from different worlds came together to help each other survive against the struggles of a great threat.
That story resonated with young Dani because she was a girl torn between two worlds as well. Her father was a wealthy investment banker from Star City of Jewish-Ukrainian descent while her mother was a British corporate lawyer who became an early adopter of the Norsefire movement.
Dani Shpak: 2000 - 2005
When Dani was eleven, the two divorced and for the next five years Dani's childhood was spent being shuttled back and forth between her father's estate on the outskirts of Star City and her mother's luxury apartment in London. Both parents tried to minimize the other's influence on Dani, often forbidding her to partake in any activities that the other parent had introduced her to.
In order to get around this, Dani manipulated both parents into letting them think they introduced her to archery. Dani's father was already an avid hunter who eagerly took up bow hunting to share something with his daughter. Meanwhile, Dani's mother pressured Dani to train around the clock, hoping Dani would go to the Olympics and the honor of being one of Norsefire's first gold medalists.
Dani Shpak: 2005 - 2011
Daniel Shpak became concerned that if his daughter continued to go to Britain, she would soon be the victim of anti-Semitic violence or be brainwashed to become a tool of propaganda in Sutler's regime. Around Dani's sixteenth birthday, her father got a writ from a Federal judge counteracting the contract concerning child custody from his divorce agreement with Dani's mother, giving him full custody of Dani.
Though Dani was thankful to not have to return to London and was free to live a more stable life, she was not unaffected by having lived through Norsefire's rise to power. Her father noticed she'd grown foul-tempered and crass at school. The only thing that kept her from being expelled was Daniel's generous donations to Papp Academy.
Dani would compete in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Tropidor (playing for Team USA) in all three of the archery events she qualified for: Women's Individual, Women's Team, and Mixed Team. Dani won gold in the individual and silver in both team events. Immediately after her medals ceremony a TV reporter told her she had been name dropped as an example of "Norsefire Supremacy" in Sutler's most recent speech, Dani's reply on live TV was: "[expletive] Sutler! [expletive] Norsefire!"
Dani Shpak: 2011 - Present
- (Submitted by Four_Eyes) Dani is very interested in being a paranormal investigator. She is very active on my blog (shameless plug for "Velma Dinkley's Guide to Monsters, Spirits, Occult Phenomena, and the Weird: A Technical Examination of Based on Field Encounters and Observations of Mystery Incorporated") and the two of us correspond regularly by e-mail.
- (Submitted by TurtleGurl84) Here are some fun facts about Dani:
- Shpak is Ukrainian for "starling." Dani's great uncle was George Starling, the famous Star City banker and real estate mogul, who was born as George Shpak (he changed his name when he moved to America). At one time George owned so much of Star City real estate that many people called it "Starling's City" or "Starling City." Most people think that name came from those damn birds. Interesting Star City factoid for you.
- Dani is an avid reader of fiction. Her favorites include young adult post-apocalyptic literature, trashy romance novels that read like bad internet fan-fiction, and some bargain bin horror series by Carver Edlund.
- Dani operates a ten gallon home brewery in the Firehouse's tool room.
- Dani's username on MysteryInc.net's forums is 1WhoNocks.
- Athletic Training
- World-Class Archer
- All-Around Master Markswoman
- Incredible Physical Agility
- Incredible Hand to Eye Coordination
- Exceptional Stamina
- Master Huntress
- Master Survivalist
- Master Tracker
- Capable Parapsychologist (though eager to improve)
- Indomitable Willpower
- No Nonsense Personality
- Amateur Beer Brewer
- Amateur Investigator
- Anger Management Issues
- Curses Like a Sailor
- Physicality: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Occult: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Weaponry: 4 - Expert / Enhanced
- Expertise: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Range: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Strategy: 2 - Basic / Typical
Trivia and Notes
- Dani has a Threat Assessment ranking of 42, marking her as an Low Threat.
- Lou Kamaka is her best friend.
- Garrett Miller introduced her to Carver Edlund's novels. If they are in close proximity, Garrett and Dani will entertain each other with quotes from Carver's works.
- Dani Shpak is a character from the Ghostbusters comics by IDW and its related media.
- The name Starling City was used in the early seasons of Arrow.
- Samuel Hazer is a playable character in the Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime video game.
- In reality the 2008 Summer Olympics happened in China.
- Dani's username on MysteryInc.net's forums is a nod to the Breaking Bad TV series.