NOTE: This character's second portrait awaits sponsorship. You can sponsor it here. Your support will allow this character to be explored in Earth-27.
Childhood: 1980 - 1992
Robert "Bobby" Louis Drake was born in Floral Park, Long Island, New York to William Louis Drake and Madeline Beatrice Bass-Drake. Bobby is Jewish on his mother's side and Irish-Catholic on his father's. Religion was always a touchy subject in his house, so Bobby just chose to avoid choosing sides by declaring himself agnostic.
When Bobby was twelve, he first discovered his mutant abilities as he was unable to stop feeling cold and shivering. He was admitted to the hospital as a result, where doctors were unable to diagnose what was wrong. Bobby's core temperature dropped to fatal ranges and yet Bobby was apparently completely healthy other than his shivering. The doctors told the Drakes that their son was not likely to survive the night unless there was some sort of miracle.
There was no miracle, but there were two mutants who came to visit Bobby that night. The nurses, patients, doctors, and the Drakes did not remember these visitors, as Charles mentally suspended the hospital floor while he and Erik came to see Bobby. Erik confirmed that the boy was definitely a mutant, reporting a very powerful electromagnetic aura surrounding the shivering youth.
Armed with that knowledge, Charles used his powers to coach Bobby's hypothalamus, the nerve center of the brain responsible for regulating body temperature, into restoring Bobby's core temperature to average levels and even dulled Bobby's instinctive shivering response.
Coming of Age: 1992 - 1993
Thanks to the intervention of Charles and Erik, Bobby survived that night. The doctors could not really explain it, other than to blame faulty equipment and Bobby displaying some sort of psychosomatic disorder. The Drakes were just happy to bring their son home in good health.
During the spring that followed, Bobby began to miss the cold. In his sleep, he had a dream of building a snowman and when he woke up, his room was covered in snow. His parents thought this was some sort of prank and grounded him. Yet, while grounded, Bobby had the solitude to do some experiments. Playing to his suspicions that he created the snow, Bobby learned to use his powers by mentally willing himself to chill drinks, create small ice sculptures, and cover his own body in ice.
On his thirteenth birthday, Bobby planned to come out with his special abilities to his girlfriend, Judy Harmon, but before he could he was intercepted by Erik Lehnsherr and his daughter Lorna. Erik was sent by Charles who sensed Bobby's intentions to out himself and Erik came to stop Bobby from doing that. Bobby scoffed and brushed past Erik, so Lorna tagged along as Bobby walked to Judy's house.
Lorna tried to persuade Bobby to reconsider but before she could convince him, one of Bobby's school bullies bumped into the two, knocking the wig off Lorna's head and revealing her green hair. The bully mocked Lorna and prepared to spit on her. As he propelled his saliva and phlegm, Bobby put out his hand and froze the spit to the boy's tongue.
Gifted Youngster: 1993 - 1995
By the time Bobby and Lorna returned, Erik had convinced Bobby's mother to sign Bobby's enrollment papers, but insisted that Bobby come home for the holidays and summers. Meanwhile, Bobby's father heard about a fight Bobby had gotten into with another boy and told Erik he would happily sign the papers if it meant he could get the "brat" out of his house nine months of the year.
- Mutant Level: Bobby is Gamma-Level Mutant with Alpha-Class projected potential.
- Mutation - Thermokinetic: Bobby is a mutant with the ability to lower his body temperature from its normal 98.6 Fahrenheit to -400 Fahrenheit (colder than liquid nitrogen) within the span of a second or two. As his body temperature falls, the surrounding moisture in the air that is in contact with him is similarly lowered. Just as condensed moisture forms frost, this moisture forms an icy covering that encompasses his body. When he first began to lower his body temperature, this covering took on a more snow-like appearance. But as he learned to increase the severity of his coldness, the coating assumed the consistency of ice. This sheet of ice cracks with movement but quickly reforms (that's why there is the cracking sound when Bobby moves about when covered with ice). Through practice, Bobby has learned to selectively lower the temperature of isolated parts of his body.
- Thermal Vision: Bobby can see heat signatures.
- Molecular Moisture Inversion: Bobby can freeze any and all water molecules, turning them into solid ice. Due to the amount of water on Earth, Bobby has a virtually unlimited supply of moisture since it is always present in the surrounding air or environment. Even desert air has sufficient moisture for him to make practical use of; however, the mental effort required could tire him out.
- Cryokinesis: Bobby can control moisture to such a degree that it allows him to freeze any air moisture into super-hard ice. Bobby can form this ice into any object of his choosing. The only limitations are his own imagination and the ambient air temperature, which determines how long his ice sculpture will stay icy. Bobby has formed the ice to create ladders, slides, shields, walls, snowballs, and even blasts of bolts.
- Ice Slides: Bobby is also able to form a rising column of ice beneath him, capable of lifting him off the ground. A well-braced and regular column, 6 feet in diameter at its base, can support his weight without toppling for about 85 feet in a 40-mile per hour wind. By forming long ice-ramps connected to columns, buildings, or bridges, Bobby can travel above the ground sliding down the ramp as he creates it. Unless he periodically constructs additional pylons, his slides will break under him.
- Atmokinesis: Bobby can sense, generate, and manipulate cold aspects of the weather such as snow, hail, blizzards, crisp air, freezing and rain.
- Expertise - Skating: An extension of his abilities, Bobby never loses his balance on ice and is a natural ice skating prodigy. With some training, he could easily win the Gold at the Olympics as either a speed skater or even a figure skater.
- Expertise - Creative: Bobby's got a good sense of humor, which is only amplified by his quick wit and intelligence. Bobby might act the fool, but he is incredibly smart and has a real head of numbers. I think he would make a good architect or accountant, though he probably wants to be a comedian.
- Emotions: Bobby loses control of his powers when he is emotional. If he's angry, it's not unusual for him to flash freeze his surroundings. If he wants to be left alone, he often causes ice walls to form to isolate himself from others. My guess is that part of the reason Bobby appears to use humor so much is so he can make friends without putting himself out there emotionally. Though, Bobby does seem to open up to Jean and Charles.
- Might: 3 - Peak Human
- Acumen: 3 - Learned
- Speed: 3 - Exceptional
- Tactical: 3 - Professional Training
- Energy: 4 - Extensive Ability
- Resilience: 3 - Enhanced, Tough
Trivia and Notes
- The current login for this Cerebro File is "User: Moira X".
- Bobby was recruited on July 18th, 1993 at the age of 13.
- He is currently a Freshman and will graduate with the Class of '98.
- His best subjects are Algebra and Creative Writing.
- Bobby has a MASTERY Score of 39, marking him as Exceptional.
- Bobby Drake resides in Subsidiary-Reality M, within Murum Locus.
- Iceman is a character originating from Marvel Comics.