History (Submitted by Operator)
Abby Yates: 1985 - 1994
Abby grew up in Rochester, a small town on the outskirts of Detroit. As a child, Abby was so curious about everything. Her mother nicknamed her "Curious Georgina." During the third grade science fair, some of Abby's classmates overheard Abby's mother call Abby this pet name. The next day, six girls cornered Abby on the playground. One of them presented an enormous bunch of bananas to Abby. Instead of running away or fighting, Abby ate all of the bananas and left the girls speechless - some even cheering her on as she finished the last of the fruit. An hour later, Abby blacked out at school and woke in the ICU, suffering from hyperkalemia, or potassium poisoning.
After recovering, Abby's mother noticed her daughter was suddenly quite stranger than she had been before. Abby began an exhaustive search to discover if leprechauns were real and searched for the end of a rainbow and also began an intense friendship with an imaginary friend.
One day, after a thunderstorm, Abby spotted a rainbow and headed into the woods. As the rainbow faded, Abby realized she went farther into the woods than she had before. After an hour, she admitted to herself she was lost. Abby remembered her mother's advice about being lost: sit still and let someone find you. Abby stayed under a maple tree for three days and two nights surviving off rainwater.
When it became clear that she was not going to be found, Abby started to wander without any idea if she was going deeper into the forest or not. Weak from lack of nutrition, Abby passed out and dreamed of being carried by a tall man with pink hair. Abby would be found severely weak on her mother's front porch after a loud knock was heard on the door.
Abby Yates: 1994 - 1999
Inspired by Abby's recovery from severe malnourishment and her previous potassium poisoning, Abby's mother (who was already a chemist of some renown) focused her research on child nutrition. For the next five years, she would travel the country for her research, taking Abby with her and personally tutoring Abby. Abby did not like life on the road and so eventually it was proposed for Abby to go live with her aunt and uncle in Engine City.
Abby Yates: 1999 - 2002
On her first day, Abby was a little insulted no one approached her - not even the usual mean girls or bullies. It did not take long for Abby to learn that such kids were too busy picking on existing students to notice the new girl. In particular, most of the school seemed to be bullying someone called "Ghost Girl." Abby noticed she and this Ghost Girl were the only two students who bothered raising their hands in chemistry. Ghost Girl had even known an answer to something that stumped Abby. Soon after arriving at this new school, Abby went to go sit with this Ghost Girl at lunch. The two hit it off immediately as Abby was immediately fascinated by Erin's apparent haunting. Abby slept over at her house that weekend, intent on photographing the ghost that haunted Erin. Though the equipment failed to capture the ghost, Abby insists that she saw the ghost, validating Erin's claims. The two were practically sisters after this.
Abby Yates: 2002 - Present
- (Submitted by Four-Eyes) At age 22, Erin and Abby decided to spend the summer writing a book on the paranormal. After a lot of take out from Tomorrow's Teriyaki, they completed a single-spaced 460 page manuscript. The first sentence was "This is not a joke." This manuscript would become "Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal".
- (Submitted by TurlteGurl84) Here are some fun facts for Abby Yates:
- Abby takes three sugars with her coffee & considers decaf to be poison.
- Abby has a MeVids channel under the username 'ParanormalAbby'.
- Abby says her "type" is "husky men with broad shoulders or nice hats, but not both. That's just too much of a good thing. Way too much."
- Abby is a fan of mid-to-late-nineties hip-hop and R&B.
- While working as an associate professor at Ivy University, Abby briefly dated a student after bonding over a shared interest in the paranormal and a mutual fear of clowns. She dumped him for being too needy and eventually moved to Star City to escape him.
- As a kid, Abby had an imaginary friend, a dachshund named Zorp.
- Abby was once a victim of a Zambezian prince scam.
- Genius Intellect
- World-Class Parapsychologist
- Expert Alchemist
- Expert Astrologist
- Expert Occult Historian
- Expert Kirilian Photographer
- Master Mechanical Engineer
- Master Physicist
- Expert Biologist
- Expert Chemist
- Expert Computer Programmer
- Knows a Lot of Weird Trivia
- Fondness for Good Soup
- Severe Allergy to Cats
- Physicality: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Occult: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Weaponry: 2 - Basic / Typical
- Expertise: 5 - Master / Remarkable
- Range: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
- Strategy: 3 - Trained / Exceptional
Trivia and Notes
- Abby Yates has a Threat Assessment ranking of 44, marking her as a Low Threat.
- Erin and Abby are two sides of the same coin. Erin is neat and awkward. Abby is messy and bold. Together, they can figure anything out. Apart, they're incomplete. They're an odd couple.
- She met Jillian Holtzmann during her time at Seaview University when she needed help actualizing some concepts. The two became friends in no time, in spite of Abby's immense love for the paranormal (which rubbed off on Holtzmann). Holtzmann's friendship with Abby later helped her bond with Egon and Holtzmann decided to return the favor by going out of her way to repair Abby and Erin's broken friendship.
- During the Hell on Earth event of 2013, Abby became possessed by a foreign entity. Patty realized that something was amiss with Abby. When confronted, Abby attacked Holtzmann. Patty intervened, saving Holtzmann's life. Once she wrestled the possessed Abby to the ground, Patty slapped Abby so hard it knocked the entity right out of her.
- She, Erin, and Jillian are former assistants of Ray, Egon and Peter during their time at Seaview University.
- Abby Yates is a character from the 2016 Ghostbusters film and its related media.
- Her backstory is a nod to Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal.
- In the book she did have a father and it was his advice to sit still after being lost. There was no man with pink hair.